Friday, May 18, 2007

Stalking the UPS man...













OK, so I can be a little impatient sometimes. But honestly I had a really good reason this time! I waited ever so patiently for my wheel to be delivered all day. I woke up extra early so that there was no issue with the delivery like last time!
(I was expecting a package a year ago, a gift, but it was never delivered the day tracking said it would be. When I called UPS, I was told that no one was home to accept the package...I was furious! I was home all day waiting for that truck, there was no note of failed delivery left... someone just didn't bother to deliver it. So the next day waiting again for the package I hear a truck and look outside only to see the UPS truck pulling away. They dropped my package on the porch & just left. Gee, why didn't they just do that the day before!)

So back to the matter at hand, I wasn't letting this happen with my wheel! I was awake at 6am & ready to jump at a moments notice! After feverishly checking the tracking site for UPS(which I'm shocked I didn't single handedly crash) I saw that at 8:31am it went "OUT FOR DELIVERY". Well now I was ready. I tried to get some housework done but realized I couldn't do the dishes because I'd have to dry my hands, grab the camera & run to the door at the same time! So I fiddled around the house and jumped at every noise I heard...of coarse the neighborhood saw to much action, the garbage truck, the oil truck, school buses. I was going insane!

Tic-toc, tic-toc...the wait was starting to scare me, what if they have to many deliveries today & postpone mine till tomorrow! I told Handsome Hubby that I was making a phone call if I didn't see a truck by 3:30pm.

I kept thinking who would want to drag that heavy box back to be loaded on yet another truck for tomorrow? Oh no, what if it was to heavy & got damaged & they just didn't want to call me!




Just when I thought I would loose it I saw the UPS truck backing down our cul-de-sac...to the wrong house!!! He went to far & walked it to ours. All my fears disappeared as he walked up the path, I swear the box was glowing...OK maybe it was the sun in my eyes!



I flung open the door like a kid at Christmas & just about hugged the man. After explaining how worried I was about him not coming & what was in the box, he shocked me! He was genuinely interested in the wheel, come to find out he delivers to a woman all the time down the road from us & knows all about us knitters & spinners. The woman was the same great lady that was a vendor we met at the NH Sheep & Wool! What a great way to end a long day.











Handsome Hubby helped me get the wheel together and photographed my new treasure in all it's glory. Within 15 minutes I was up & spinning. About an hour later he seriously & looking sad said "You didn't even ask me if I wanted to try it!" I didn't know what to say,and obviously the look of "pure terror & are you nuts" said it better than I could of! I told him sweetly, "In due time grasshopper, first knitting!" Hmm, I just may get him to cross over to the yarnside yet!

I started with some roving I bought at Rhinebeck last year but quickly moved on to the Icelandic Wool that came with my wheel. I can spin it, but I'm not crazy about it. It seams very different from the Merino & other rovings I spun in December on the Joy. It seams very hairy to me, maybe it's a beginner thing. By the end of the knight I had filled almost the entire bobbin with what I hope to ply as a sport weight yarn. I feel like I have alot more control than I did with the Joy but I think I am just more comfortable because I know this is MY wheel so I'm not as nervous. I am a HUGE worrier so for me this is a good sign!

Now that I talked your eyes off I must spend some quality time with my socks. I am already worried that my knitting will be neglected! See I told you I worry to much I haven't even had the wheel an entire day yet!
Wishing you days filled with fibery goodness,
Diane

No comments: